- Industrial Design ServedProject Featured On:Industrial Design Served — 2/7/12
- Other-Half Watch
- A 3-D Printed Watch, designed specifically for long distance friends, family or lovers.
- The ‘Other Half’ helps you keep your loved ones close, serving as a reminder of a long distance lover or family members overseas. This unique design features a secondary watch face, intimately located on the inner wrist. Once this hidden watch is set to the time zone of your 'Other Half' it functions as a small, but significant, window into their world.
- The Other Half’s innovative strap design is derived from its meaningful function.
The strap consists of two halves, one of which is 3-d printed in solid stainless steel. This references a bracelet or bangle (gifts which are generally given to represent a particular moment or relationship between two people). The second half, a black leather strap, stays true to the traditional watch aesthetic and wraps over the steel. The overlapping form is derived form the act of holding hands (a small but intimate gesture) and this juxtaposition of materials creates a piece which sits somewhere between a traditional watch and an item of contemporary jewellery.
- An adjustable notch was developed to connect the leather and steel. This system allows for easy size adjustments, to fit most wrists and has a simple clipping motion, making it comfortable and easier to attach than watches with traditional clasps.
- Model: Henry D'ath
Lecturer: Ross Stevens
- Blogs which heve featured this work: